Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Mystery Calls 1


Am going to post a number of long pieces over the next few weeks but until then here’s a bit of an oddity 

A while ago I began making a little film with some friends looking at the story of the Warminster Thing. It was a hobby film - a bit of fun - but we were seriously interested in this almost forgotten story - the UK's Mothman in some ways. 

Shortly after we started I received a number of calls from a woman who refused to identify herself. 

I never managed to get a recording as she rang at odd and unexpected times and we never managed to get her number as she always rang when I was at work and the networked phones there cannot do a 1471 search to show the last number.

The thing I noticed about her calls was her odd use of phrases and her odd use of English – old fashioned and overly formal. She had no accent and sounded almost as if she was reading from a prepared script.

I managed to write down a number of these odd phrases but because I couldn’t write down everything all I am left with is fragments. 

There were nine calls between April and December 2006. In the first calls she warned us not to get involved but as the calls continued she started to tell us to visit certain places and told us what we would see. 

So in a spirit of adventure we did what she said - just for the hell of it to see what might happen

Here are fragments from the first call. In this call she introduces herself - but not by name and tells me why she is calling - but never really gives anything away

The voice you'll hear on the podcast  is that of an an actor but catches the tone and phrasing. I will post the other 8 over the next few weeks and months 

Podcast below 

http://www.cyberears.com/index.php/Browse/playaudio/13275

No comments:

Post a Comment